Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Wednesday, October 8, 2008

    Neverending Mix, 10.8.08

    I will openly admit that I am biased towards all-female rock bands. It's not that I don't appreciate music from people of every stripe and background - in fact, one glance at my iPod reveals that I pretty much like literally every kind of music - but when it's music made by exclusively women, well, that just makes me really happy. It should happen more often.

    Here are the Vivian Girls. They are from New York City, they make reverb-heavy garage rock-influenced pop with amazing girl-group harmonies, and they are totally badass. This song is called "Where Do You Run To?" from the band's self-titled debut album. And yes - all girls. The album is comprised of two-to-three minute fuzzy, sometimes rather loud pop songs. Sounds like the Jesus and Mary Chain meets the Ronnettes. Which pretty much means I am guaranteed to like it!

    Interesting factoid to accompany this post - the name of the band comes from the title of the massive, 15,000+ page manuscript written by outsider artist and author Henry Darger, called "The Story of the Vivian Girls, in What is known as the Realms of the Unreal, of the Glandeco-Angelinnian War Storm, Caused by the Child Slave Rebellion." Google it. Wild stuff.

    No comments: